I promised on my Facebook page that if these got the thumbs up from my family then I would share this recipe.. thumbs up given by hubby and all 3 kids today so here it is!
This recipe can use butter or coconut oil. Both are healthy fats (make sure you use organic, grass fed butter if you can) but use coconut oil if you need dairy free. I did not find that my batter needed the milk added but any type of milk should work of you need it.
A note about baking with coconut flour: You cannot substitute any other flour in these recipes as coconut flour works totally differently to all other flours. I find that products baked with coconut flour taste better, with a nicer texture after being stored in the fridge overnight and they last for several days in an airtight container in the fridge.
You should be able to buy coconut flour at any health food shop and they also have it at Costco! You only ever use 1/4 – 1/2 cup in a recipe so a bag of it lasts a long time.
This recipe is from Wellness Mama. The original link is here
I have adapted it to Australian temperatures but made no other changes to the original recipe.
- 5 Eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- ¼ cup coconut oil or butter (softened)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- small amount of milk to thin if needed (mine have never needed any)
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- If using a food processor – add all of the ingredients and mix until smooth
- If mixing by hand – mash bananas then add all other ingredients and mix until smooth and well incorporated. If batter is too thick, add a little milk to thin, but don’t let it get runny at all.
- Put into greased/lined muffin tins. Batter will be somewhat thick.
- Bake for 13-18 minutes until lightly browned and set in middle. (15 worked perfectly for me)
Makes 11 – 12 medium sized muffins. They are also great as mini muffins (bake for about 10 mins).
Options: once the batter is made, mix through dark choc chips or cacao nibs, frozen berries or dried blueberries. You could also add some cinnamon to the mixture.
I would love it if you would leave a comment below if you try this recipe or if you have another banana muffin recipe that you want to share.